Friday, May 9, 2008

Orchids and Rainbow Loop Trail

Slept a little later than usual and had breakfast before I left. Started off slow, shooting down the river from the marshy area about three quarters of a mile from Stehekin. Did a couple of pans, with and without polarizer. Went back to Rainbow Falls for Calypso orchids, this time with the 200 mm. Much better background, but of course the depth of field was much narrower. I am more pleased with today's than previous shots.

Went back to Rainbow Loop Trail. Walked the whole thing, even all the way back on the road. The book says it is 5 miles roundtrip, with a 750 ft rise in elevation and rates it as moderate.
Probably close to my limit. Some great views from the summit. You can see the river below, and the orchard, and the mountains seem to be sitting in your lap.











Met a lizard up there too; my first reptile on this trip.






2 comments:

Alison Robin said...

That looks like so much fun! I love the photos, especially of the Orchids.

Did you ever find out what sort of lizard that was? I've never seen one like it.

Rich said...

Alison - Thank you for viewing my blog. I hope you are enjoying it. I will be continuing the residency until May 19 and will continue posting.

The lizard, to the best I can determine is the Western Fence Lizard (Sceloporus occidentalis). It is supposed to fairly common. I encountered it at the top of the mountain on the Rainbow Loop Trail in Stehekin, Washington.