Sunday, May 4, 2008

How many ways can you say "Glorious Day?"


It was another gorgeous day. Despite that, I am starting today to make an effort to actually write each day's notes on that day, even if the images are delayed.

Started the morning along Lakeshore Trail again, trying for some good early morning light, and trying to redo the image with the flowers in the foreground, this time using some fill flash to brighten them up. Forgot my polarizer on the 70-300, which I didn' bring with me. Note to self, it is worth the money to get a second 77 mm polarizer for the 12-24. Oh, well!, will try again another day.

After breakfast, I found my way up the "Cool Mist" trail at Rainbow Falls. (Met Wendy and Phil, Stehekin residents. Phil was on the committee that selected me; he said he voted for and I thanked him for his vote.) It leads up a steep hill across from and about two thirds the way up Rainbow Falls. It is called "Cool Mist" for the obvious reason. It was really difficult to try and get a shot without getting the camera too wet. I fussed with the raincape and tried to take a shot the instant I lifted it. Between the narrow trail, wind and mist (more like standing on a tilted chair in a fine shower in a mild hurricane), I only took two shots. I gave up mostly because it was late enough that there were already bright spots that would blow out, so it didn't pay to keep trying. Need to come back early morning when the sun isn't on the water, and maybe the wind is less.

Moved on to a quick look-see at the Harlequin Campground, but couldn't find the Harelequin trail head. Need to ask. The camp ground seemed nicer than the others; quiet, well shaded. Then moved on to the Stehekin River Trail, starting just south of the airfield. Was already warmed up enough for just a tee shirt. Previously I had gone north and found lots of trillium, so today I went south -- good choice. Hit piles of yellow fawn lily, more trillium, and finally, just when I was ready to turn back, a calyspso orchid (Calypso bulbosa). I had heard they were common, but it is still exciting. There may be some near Rainbow Falls, need to look next time I'm there.






Returned around 2:00 and blew off the remainder of the afternoon reading and napping in the sun, till I moved myself to write this. Will download and backup later tonight after a light supper.

No comments: