Sunday, April 6, 2008

More packing

This image is from my first Artist-In-Residence at Acadia National Park in Maine. I stayed at the Schoodic Peninsula part of the park, but drove back to the Mt. Dessert Island part of the park for this picture of Jordan Lake.






Did some more packing. Checked at UPS, and was told to allow 8 days for stuff to get to Stehekin. If I send next weekend, I should be able to get confirmation that the boxes with everything from clothing to cameras and tripod arrived before I need to leave.

Heading down to the airport later to confirm there will be no trouble with carrying my camera backpack on board. I may be a little over the top with this concern about getting on the plane, but it seems like every night on the news you see stories of cancelled flights and lost luggage. I really don't want to get to where I a going to take pictures to find that my cameras are still in Detroit. Oh well!!

Double checking my laptop, clearing files, defragging, etc. Thought about getting a new faster laptop for the trip, but since I just got a fast new desktop and will only use the laptop for travel, can't justify. Should probably save the $$$ for D300 or bigger printer for the great landscapes I am going to take : ).

This weekend's (April 4, 2008) Parade magazine. An interesting article by Randy Pausch, a college professor dying of pancreatic cancer. He says always have fun - notable quote: "Time is all you have. And you may find one day that you have less than you think." I hadn't thought about it quite so directly, but that is in part what this trip is all about. Why wait for retirement, when I might be too decrepit to do things that require a little more stamina. Have fun while you can!

No comments: