Friday, April 4, 2008

Packing Anxiety

Friday night three weeks before departure.

High anxiety about fogetting something essential that I won't readily be able to replace. Lists, lists and more lists. Because of airplane limits, I am shipping two boxes plus my printer. I trust UPS far more than I trust the airline to get my stuff where it needs to go.

For a city slicker used to the convenience of 3 or 4 supermarkets within 5 minutes, being in Stehekin, WA, accessible only by float plane and ferry (or a very long walk) will probably be very educational. However, I am very heartened by the fact that everyone I have spoken to in connection with this trip has been very helpful and friendly. Special appreciation to the River Walk Inn ( http://www.riverwalkinnchelan.com/rates.html ) that even offered to drive me to the supermarket in Lake Chelan to get groceries and the ferry to Stehekin and gave me a great price on a room.

By the way, the website for North Cascades complex is: http://www.nps.gov/noca/supportyourpark/

Information on Lake Chelan and Stehekin is available at:
http://www.nps.gov/archive/noca/focus/focus.htm

Because my camera and lenses would be financially difficult to replace I checked with my insurance agent to see if they could provide some peace of mind. There is something called personal article insurance that I can get for my cameras and lenses as a rider on homeowners insurance. It will provide full replacement for about $104 a year. Sounds good to me.

More tomorrow on the practicalities of getting ready.

No comments: